Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Young Elites by Marie Lu - Book Review



Alright, so there will be two parts to this review. The first part is a spoiler free summary and my thoughts on the book (for those of you who haven't read it). And on the second part I will go into deeper detail about the story and share with you all my feels (for those of you who have read it)! And don't worry, before reaching the spoiler section, there will be a warning. :)

Spoiler Free

Summary from the book:
Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina's black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family's good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever's survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.
Teren Santoro works for the king. As a leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it's Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all.
Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. The secret sect of the Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Dagger finds Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they've never seen.





Things I liked:
- The changes in point of view every few chapters. Throughout the story, the perspective switched usually from Adelina to Teren and then sometimes to Enzo. This really kept the story interesting!
- Adelina's character. I truly enjoyed Adelina. She was very different from most female characters I usually read about. The darkness in her and her various flaws only made her seem more beautiful to me.
- The world building and absolutely beautiful names used. The canals around the city and all the Latin-origin names in this book reminded me a lot of Venice, Italy. :)
- The plot twists. SUCH. GREAT. PLOT TWISTS. I totally wasn't expecting any of them and they all worked very well together to add intensity to the story!

Things I didn't really like:
- There was honestly only one thing I didn't really enjoy about this book, and it's something very minor so it doesn't affect my overall rating of this book at all. I had a little bit of trouble picturing the scenery and setting of the story (besides the map in the beginning). For some reason, the descriptions didn't exactly click in my head but that may just be me. Everyone perceives differently while reading so I am sure there were many people who easily pictured the world of Kennetra in their heads. :)

Rating and overall commentary:
- 5/5 Stars
- I loved this book so much from start to finish. It was such a unique story and it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time!! The feels were real.

Alright, now onto the spoilers… (WARNING: DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK!)

Okay so I'm just going to go on and babble about the book.
First of all, can we just take a moment to admire the amazing love scenes. Like, what the heck. Marie Lu did such a great job at writing the small love scenes between Adelina and Enzo. I was literally trying to hold myself back from squealing in the middle of class while reading it. GAH. *explodes with giddiness* And also, can we talk about the PLOT TWISTS? First, I find out the Teren's a malfetto. He could heal himself of all injuries. Kinda creepy, huh? Then, suddenly, Violetta's a freaking malfetto too. Are you kidding me?!?!?! I was so not expecting that. It was pretty awesome though when she took away Teren's powers. I was like, "YES TEREN IS NOT INVINCIBLE!!" And then there was the ending…I'm still having trouble believing that Enzo dies. How?? How??? Out of all people, it had to be Teren. *cries.* My heart shattered into a million pieces. I don't know who was more hurt to be honest, me or Adelina? (haha) Anyway, I'm guessing that in the next book (there's going to be a next book, right?) Enzo's going to come back. I can already tell due to the pretty obvious foreshadowing in the epilogue about that princess of Beldain who can raise people from the dead.

Well, that pretty much sums up my thoughts on this great book. Thanks for reading my review! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment